What classes should I take if I want to start my own small pet food company?

Question by Baa_Baa_Blacksheep: What classes should I take if I want to start my own small pet food company?
I was thinking some classes like agriculture, animal science, and veterinary medicine plus management. Any other classes I should take?

Best answer:

Answer by ynot
After you’re finished with all of your classes you’ll still need to talk to a business counselor before you do anything especially spend money. You have to determine whether you’ll start a web based business or one with a store front. I’d call the local office of SCORE (go to http://www.score.org and input your zip code to find the chapter nearest you), the advice is FREE.

The counselor at SCORE will most likely advise you to write a business plan which is very good advice because it will force you to dig out all of the start up details and the costs of starting a small pet food company and force you to also understand all of the aspects of this business including the customers you’ll concentrate on (your market ) and how you’ll go after them.

You’ll need to register the business with your state controller’s office and make sure that you have any city and county licenses if any are needed where you live. All of this will come out in a business plan.

In the meantime, try this link :
http://www.ychange.com/small-business-consulting-articles.html and read some of the articles especially the ones about a business plan and starting a business.
Good Luck

What do you think? Answer below!